What is Sedation Dentistry? And Who is a Candidate for Sedation or Sleep Dentistry?
Do you wish you could sleep through your dental treatment? For many patients, sleep dentistry is revolutionizing their dental treatment. Sleep dentistry is also known as oral sedation dentistry. Sedation dentistry involves the use of medications designed to calm, relax, or even allow the patient to sleep through their dental treatment. A dentist performs sedation dentistry with specialized advanced training. A trained sedation dentist can carry out multiple routine procedures or specialist dental procedures without causing a patient any stress.
What are the Benefits of Sedation Dentistry or Sleep Dentistry?
There are many reasons a patient may benefit from oral sedation dentistry or sleep dentistry. If any of the following experiences have made dental treatment uncomfortable, sedation dentistry may be for you. If you have:
- Fear of the dentist
- Past dental trauma or negative experiences at the dentist
- Anxiety about smells and sounds at the dentist’s office
- Trouble or difficulty getting numb at the dentist
- Pain in your back, neck or shoulders while in the dental chair
- Discomfort or anxiety sitting through a dental appointment
- Sensitive teeth during dental treatment
- A bad gag reflex that makes dental appointments unbearable
Other reasons to consider sedation dentistry are if you want to condense multiple dental treatments into one appointment instead of several visits or if you would rather sleep through your dental treatment. There are many more benefits of sedation dentistry!
Sedation and Sleep Dentistry Risks
There are only a few health reasons that prevent a person from taking advantage of the benefits of sleep dentistry. Generally, the main contraindications to sleep dentistry are:
- Allergic reactions to sedatives
- Central nervous system compromise
- Untreated glaucoma
- Severe resistance to medications
- Uncontrolled cardiac or respiratory conditions
Planning for Sleep Dentistry
Since sleep dentistry allows for very efficient dental treatment, your dentist will typically sequence your treatment to have as much completed in as few visits as possible. To plan for your sleep dentistry appointment you should:
- Plan to fast for at least 6 hours prior to your appointment
- Plan for adequate time for an appointment and some time to recover afterward
- Arrange for a ride to and from the appointment
- Avoid alcohol consumption before a procedure or any medications you haven’t discussed with your dentist
- If you are able to do this, then you may be a good candidate for sleep dentistry
Do I Need Sleep Dentistry for All Appointments?
Every patient is unique. Oral Sedation dentistry can be customized to care for their comfort, fears, or phobias. After gaining trust with your dentist you may find you can have more treatment provided with lesser levels of sedation. At a certain point, you may find you don’t need sedation dentistry any longer. At Aesthetic Smile Reconstruction, we have several accouterments to aid your comfort that make dentistry more enjoyable. Some things that we offer patients are:
- Supportive neck pillows
- Soft blankets
- A wide selection of iPod music
- Dental chairs designed for maximum comfort
- 55″ TVs in all treatment rooms with Hulu
- Charm and respect for all patient wishes
Consult Aesthetic Smile Reconstruction About Sedation Dentistry Today!
Sitting still in a chair might be no big deal to many people, but for some patients, it is simply impossible. Do not lose faith if you have had uncomfortable experiences at the dentist. Numerous options can help even the most fearful or uncomfortable patients at the dentist. If you think that you would be a good candidate for sedation dentistry, or if you have further questions about the service, have a consult with a sedation dentist!
Aesthetic Smile Reconstruction is a leader in sedation dentistry for Metro Boston serving Waltham, Newton, Wellesley, and Lexington. Dr. Sutera is board certified in moderate sedation dentistry and is one of the most experienced sedation dentists in the region. He has successfully treated thousands of fearful patients that have mild to severe dental anxiety. We strive to provide beautiful, life-changing dental health care. The practice has advanced expertise in cosmetic, TMJ, and reconstructive dentistry. Contact us today to learn more about the benefits of sedation dentistry!
Comments are closed.