How Nitrous Oxide Sedation Calms Dental Anxiety
Nitrous Oxide is a sweet-smelling, non-irritating, colorless gas you can breathe. Nitrous oxide has been a primary way of calming patients with dental anxiety for many years.
If you have ever had dental anxiety or felt unusual pain during a dental procedure, nitrous oxide can make your next appointment feel much, much better. Nitrous oxide is also called “laughing gas,” because it makes patients feel great when they breathe it in!
Dental health is so important to your quality of life and overall well-being, and we don’t want you to miss out on dental services due to anxiety. That’s why we offer nitrous oxide sedation to patients who need it.
Even if you’re not sure if sedation dentistry is necessary for you, talk to us about it! It might help you get the dental care you really need. We truly care about your comfort first.
Advantages of using nitrous oxide
Patients have loved nitrous oxide sedation for decades for many reasons, like:
- Inhalation sedation is safe for your heart, lungs, and other organs. You’ll receive a mix of 50-70% oxygen and only about 30% nitrous oxide.
- Inhalation sedation is very effective in reducing the gag reflex during procedures.
- Laughing gas works rapidly, reaching the brain within 20 seconds. In as little as 2-3 minutes, it’s relaxing and pain-killing properties are felt.
- It’s easy to use. Simply breathe normally through the nose and mouth.
- The dosage can be altered at any time to increase or decrease sedation.
- There are no aftereffects. You can even drive yourself home right after using laughing gas.
How is nitrous oxide administered?
It’s very easy! A simple and comfortable appliance is placed just over the nose and mouth. It’s easy to take off in a moment, so your movements aren’t restricted. You’ll feel free to move normally.
While breathing laughing gas, many patients feel calm, relaxed, and even euphoric. If you’ve struggled through procedures before, nitrous oxide sedation could put you on a new path toward being more comfortable taking care of your dental health.
Contact our friendly team today
If you have any dental anxiety, we understand! Our team at Aesthetic Smile Reconstruction loves to help all our patients feel relaxed during dental services. Contact us today and ask about sedation dentistry.